Union Presbyterian Seminary is celebrating its 200th anniversary beginning the fall of 2011, with a year long series of bicentennial events including community-wide worship services, educational events and lectures, reunion gatherings and a fundraising gala with an auction on the Richmond Campus in the newly designed Early Center.
Located just 2.1 miles from the seminary, Maury Place at Monument is an ideal Richmond lodging for out of town visitors to Union Presbyterian Seminary. Guests enjoy complimentary breakfast, free off street parking, pool and hot tub and secure wi-fi internet. Union Seminary shares close ties with innkeeper Jeff and Mac's church, Second Presbyterian. Many staff, faculty, and students attend Second Presbyterian, including seminary President Brian Blount.
Union Presbyterian Seminary began in 1812 as the Theological Department of Hampden Sydney College in Farmville, Virginia. The Seminary was brought to Richmond in 1898 by Lewis Ginter, businessman and philanthropist, who persuaded the school with a gift of land. A new book has just been released about Lewis Ginter written by local author and Maury Place friend Brian Burns, "Lewis Ginter:Richmond's Gilded Age Icon".