Maury Place
Check Availability
Gift Certificates
History

The original building permit issued for this Richmond, Virginia historic home, now Maury Place bed and breakfast inn, reveals that construction began on May 16, 1916 at a cost of $10,000! The 4600-square-foot house was built for Miss Addie Sturdivant, who never lived there. The house was built before Monument Avenue was paved west of the Boulevard and before the Maury Monument was unveiled.

This corner of Franklin Street and Belmont was designated as “Maury Place” by the City of Richmond in 1921 in anticipation of the the adjacent Maury Monument, which was dedicated in 1929.

Bed and breakfast packages and specials

Perhaps the earliest prominent owner of Maury Place was Dr. John Weitzel, who was a graduate of the Medical College of Virginia and one of Richmond’s first pediatricians. Dr. Weitzel built the duplex next door to Maury Place at 3103-05 West Franklin Street. He had his pediatrics practice on the ground floor of that building, and his sister lived in an apartment on the second floor. At one time, a dedicated phone line connected both properties so Dr. Weitzel could easily relay messages from one property to the other. Some older Museum District residents who live nearby recall being patients of Dr. Weitzel’s. That building is not part of the bed and breakfast, but has two apartments.  The apartment on the main floor is now a 2-bedroom/2-bath furnished corporate apartment known as Franklin Place.

View Carl Ruehrmund's original Architectural Drawings for Maury Place at Monument3101 West Franklin Street was designed by German-born architect Carl Ruehrmund, who emigrated to the U.S. in 1881 after graduating from the Royal Academy of Architecture in Berlin. Ruehrmund moved to Richmond in 1884, and his work includes the Henrico Courthouse, the historic African-American Mechanics' Bank in Jackson Ward, and numerous churches throughout Virginia.

Almost 100% of the original structure, architectural detail, and floor plan of Maury Place were preserved through the 2008-09 renovations for the B&B.  The main focus of the renovation was on mechanical infrastructure such as plumbing, electrical wiring, and HVAC. The kitchen has its original polychrome tile flooring, marble door sills, and ceramic tile wainscoting; however the kitchen cabinets and appliances are new. The renovated kitchen was featured in the November 2010 issue of Remodel magazine.  The attic (uppermost floor) was renovated to provide space for the Innkeepers’ Suite.  A feature story about that room is featured in the Winter 2010 edition of Small Room Decorating magazine.

Protected by more than one hundred historic easements, all changes to Maury Place must be vetted and approved by the Virginia Department of Historic Resources. Our renovations were also done with a desire to be eco-friendly-- Maury Place is a certified Green Lodging under our state's "Virginia Green" program.

View before and after photos of our 2008 renovation of Maury Place at MonumentYou can view a "before and after" slideshow of the 2008 renovation of Maury Place on our Video Page.

Click Here to Sign Up for the Maury Place at Monument Newsletter
 
Articles & Press Releases
Click for Packages Click for Specials